Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Since we're dealing with Corny Matters (1985)

This is probably the most famous corny song in the history of recorded music. To induce sarcastic sentiment and laughter, one need only dramatically sing "we are the world". The video is corny, as if it could help it given the song. The facial expressions are notorious solicitors of condescension and mocking impressions. I remember this song from my youth, I was 5 or 6 and it was a sizable hit. Its supreme corn and cheese was not as glaringly apparent then as it is now, but I was young and unsettled in my misnagdish ways. The video is a charming test of one's knowledge of early 1980's pop stars and I freely admit some characters are beyond my powers of identification. I've come to believe that left-wing American identification with the third world is ultimately paternalistic and not to be trusted, as it will never go anywhere, and inevitably leads to a strange worldview that promotes self-hatred and praises ignorance and corruption, and compels college-educated people to embrace conspiracy theories that usually feature evil Zionists. I firmly advocate leaving the resolution of great historical problems to Heaven, while urging all people to treat all people with respect and compassion. Having said that, I will also say that I wholeheartedly believe bad guys who cannot be re-educated should be killed and I wanted to applaud in the theater when the first Soviet helicopter was shot down in the movie "Charlie Wilson's War" (2007).

No comments: