Sunday, March 30, 2008

GIL SCOTT HERON - "IS THAT JAZZ" live (1-20-08)

I was at this show (1-20-08 in NYC) and it was classic. I randomly heard on WNYC that he was performing for MLK Jr. Day and I bought the ticket. He is a living legend and a big influence on my life. I first heard his Winter in America (1974) album that my parents had, and in the 9th grade the family went to see him live in a club that no longer exists in Emeryville, California. I bought his 1994 album Spirits and the rest is history. I encourage everybody to investigate the matter further and dig it in your own time. After all you don't really have a choice, his music is fundamental to the story of music in America in the last generation. All who can afford it must purchase the album Winter in America (1974) and put it on their ipods and take it in.


No comments: